Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Dog Safety Tips

Our Pack training class

Sunday morning we had our usual training class. Then we had a play date with a couple of dogs that have played together many times. All were having fun.

Then one dog stopped playing, vomited and collapsed. After vomiting she laid down and literally would not get up. It was warmer than normal and in fact I was sweating a bit, so we thought she was overheated. There was a little wading pool so we splashed her with some water which seemed to help. We noticed her gums were extremely pale.

She started to come around a bit after splashing her with water. She was rushed to an emergency vet and was kept for several hours for observation. By the time she got to the vet she had come out of her collapse quite a bit. She's doing fine now and all back to normal. It turned out that it was most likely a bee sting or spider bite. So watch out for those buggers. Dogs don't tolerate bee stings and some bug bites very well.

The reason for this blog is the vet told us all something that we didn't know. If a dog is overheated, his gums are bright red. If he's in shock, as was this case, then the gums are pale.

Either way we were told that splashing the water on her saved the day as the water would get adrenaline going to aid in circulation for shock and if she had had heat stroke this would have cooled her off. However, I found this info empowering so immediate first aid may be more effective.

Marthina McClay, CPDT Animal Behavior College Mentor Trainer
Certified Tester/Observer for Therapy Dogs Inc.
AKC Certified CGC Evaluator


  1. Thats good to know. Mesa is very allergic to bee stings so we always have an Epi Pen Jr (the childs size Epi Pen) with us.

  2. Thanks Kari. That's good to know that you can get Epi Pens for dogs too just in case.

  3. Here's a class you can take by Dr. Crist Derenzi D.V.M. Check it out!

  4. Great info! I've pulled two ticks off of Rudy and the spots are still red and inflamed two days later. I'll definitely keep a close eye on him in case he's sensitive to other bugs.

  5. Remember that our Zoe is very allergic to bee stings and swells up. I have to keep Benedryl and Prednisone at my house. Next time I'm at the vet I will ask about the Epi pens. Seems it would be easier than a pill. Good to know about the gums. I wish everyone a happy holiday season and a healthy new year.

  6. Thanks Cindy! Happy holidays and give lil Zoe a big kiss for us!

  7. Interesting - I knew that pale gums indicated shock, but I had no idea that bright red gums indicated an overheated dog. Thank you so much for sharing!

  8. Good to know. I keep a first aid kit in the car just for Bunny. I'll have to look for a canine Epi Pen, just in case. I always have Benedryl as she had a serious reaction to meds in the past.

    I'm glad the dog is okay after that scary reaction.

  9. Greetings! Unfortunately, some dog walkers discover a danger, only sadly, when victimized. Please see the recent canine shockings/electrocution on StreetZaps and view our safety guidelines. I confer with Con Edison's Stray Voltage and Public Affairs Units; The National Electric Code showcases the site. Shock victim, Aric Roman's, case first appeared on StreetZaps in 3/09 and is in pre-trial at Con Edison (please see Testimonies, Safety) as he is permanently disabled. Thank you in advance and stay safe!

    In appreciation and with best regards,

    Blair Sorrel