Saturday, September 12, 2009

Why Help Fight Bust Dogs?



Recently a good friend asked why our resources are going to help out of state fight bust dogs when local dogs die?
I struggle with these same issues, believe me, we all do.
I don't know if there is a satisfactory explanation why it's important to help these out of state dogs other than by showing that these dogs, these victims of fight busts can be given the opportunity to become a part of a family, maybe it will help the local dogs by showing that these can be great pets. That is the key...in the past they were not even given the opportunity to be evaluated. I guess in a bizarre way we have the Vick case to thank for that. Because of the success of the Vick dogs, because rescues stepped up to take them and give them a chance at a new life this other group of dogs are now being given that same chance and if these dogs can be given the chance, why can't those dogs that make their way to shelters be given the chance.
Sadly foster homes are at a premium for everyone, difficult
choices all around and certainly no easy answers.

10 comments:

  1. Great blog here :) I hope those who read this can understand the hard decisions we have to make in doing rescue work.

    Here's a link to our blog on this very subject: What About Our Local Dogs? Maybe spreading the viewpoint from a "southern rescue" can help others continue to understand :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good blog! Makes the point well. I'm glad these questions are being asked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the point is that all deserving dogs everywhere need saving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. This is a topic I struggle with - it takes me weeks (sometimes months) to rehab a difficult dog (the ones that you can't touch, etc) ... If I took in the easy ones, I could help so many more ... but does that make the difficult ones any less deserving? This is my dilemma. I continue to take only the difficult ones, but it is something I think on.

    I’m doing my rounds and just wanted to pop by and thank you for commenting at my blog last month. I appreciate your input.

    DogsDeserveFreedom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting DDF. Yes, it is a struggle for us all the time as well.
    Fortunately so many dogs from these situations are such great dogs and very trainable on manners etc. They've actually been some of the best dogs we've had in rescue along with our local shelter dogs.
    Thank you for taking the difficult ones and for giving them a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the message here is that each of the good people who help rescue a dog, whether it's a local dog or a fight bust dog, does what feels right in their hearts. Some rescue, some foster, some donate, some adopt. Each of these contributions is invaluable, and desperately needed. You do what you can, and take it day by day, and dog by dog. Hopefully the publicity generated by the success of fight bust dogs makes each person's job in this chain a little bit easier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The attention that these high-profile cases have brought to this rampant problem that plagues our land has been invaluable > spreading the word of the monstrosities that these animals have faced at the hands of abhorent criminals. Regardless, of where one lives > a dog is a dog is a dog... People need to step up to the plate, reach out & help a dog and help those who help them (i.e. Humane Society of Missiouri, etc., etc.) - Without the help of everyone (no matter where you come from in this great big land of ours!) > We've got to help each other/So, we can all help the dogs (animals)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sorry, I didn't finish my thought above: "Without the help of everyone, (no matter where you come from...) our victories will be limited in scope and size...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it is a great idea to help those that have little to no chance. There are so many dying even the perfect Bullies. However with that said, many more rescue groups are willing to take in the flashy and adoptable ones. I have a little of both. Maimed, and ex-fighters, and a couple of flahy and perfect and none of them have found homes. I like the special needs, and I am grateful for others that view them just as priceless as other dogs.

    ReplyDelete